Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

And then my heart grew three sizes...

Nearly two months ago we went to a wedding (video here). Scarlet had to sit still for quite a while waiting for the wedding party to start making their way down the aisle.  That's a lot to ask of a 18 month old but for the most part, she did pretty good. Right before the processional began she started to squirm a bit so mommy magic powers kicked in and I started improvising ways to keep her captivated.  Everyone rose and the bride stood at the back of the aisle. A hush fell over the crowd.  Scarlet arched her back in my arms and geared up for a big whine fest.  I squeezed her tight, pointed at the bride whispered in her ear "Oh my gosh Scarlet, look it's a princess!  See?  Waaaahh-ooooow, what a beautiful princess."  Scarlet had never heard the word princess until this point and I figured it was a long shot but it worked.  She picked up on the "in-awe" tone I was using and her eyes fixed on the bride.  I kept the "wow" talk up, whispering details about how beautiful the princess was over and over.  Scarlet stared wide eyed and hushed.  Every now and again she'd whisper "Pwinshess!"  I was tickled at myself for thinking on my feet and even more tickled at how sucked into it S truly was.
It was a very sweet moment with my little girl.  I told Ryan about it later and then tucked it away in my memory banks. We don't have any princess things at home and haven't seen any other brides so we haven't talked about it since the wedding.  Now, many moons have passed with nary a 'pwinshess' to be seen.
Weeeelll, yesterday we went to visit Ryan's mom.  Right before we left Scarlet was looking at framed pictures of the family and pointing out the faces she recognized.  "Baby! Auntie, Daddy!"  she'd squeal.  Then she saw a picture of me on my wedding day.  I pointed at my face and asked "Who's that?"  like I always do.  She just stared without answering.  So I tapped the picture again and repeated the question.  It took her a few moments of thoughtful inflection before she burst "Pwinshess!"  I was floored!  Not only had I nearly forgot about that moment months ago but I was stunned that Scarlet associated the two and remembered the word!  The other bride wore a tea length, strapless ball gown, I wore a mermaid form fitting dress with lace cap sleeves.  She had a traditional veil cascading behind her, I had a little touch of bird cage netting. I know all brides can look alike but when you don't fully understand the concept of what a bride is, I thought that connection was flappin' amazing!    There's nothing like watching that little brain work.  She surprises me all the dig dang time.  Clever little bean.

11 comments:

  1. I can remember that video, She is such an intelligent little Lady!!!! Your wedding pictures are beautiful... I long for that day! Still waiting seven years on, one house, a dog and now Darcie still Nadda! Oh well a girl can dream!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup seven years, they say good things come to those who wait though! xxx

      Delete
    2. I feel ya Mummy B, Almost 6 years here. ALthough, I know now why I have to wait (partner needs a new kidney and wants to get married when he is healthy) but it still doesn't make my inner princess stop from pouting! It is ok Mummy B, I am sure you and I will have our day... one day...

      Delete
    3. Oh girls, I have been engaged for 11 years and together for 15 years. I was 17 years old when we got together and we have 2 littles, I wouldn't change it!!! Cassie x

      Delete
  2. What a precious story and an even more precious little girl you have Marie. May God bless you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet, smart little girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Scarlet is so adorable. Your wedding pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog

    I would love it if you could check out my blog.
    It is thetruthbeetold.blogspot.co.uk

    Thank you
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd really appreciate if you share a link to other sources that open up this topic of course in case you happen to know any of them.

    ReplyDelete