Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Louise always says...

...britishy old lady phrases.  Have you noticed that? Little bits of advice that I picture someone's very English Nan, who always wears wrist gloves and a crystal brooch saying.  Things like "That'll put the cat amoungst the pigeons!" or "If you do what you've always done, you'll get where you've always got."  She's the cutest little non-old-lady, old-lady phrase user there ever was. If you haven't noticed it before in her vlogs, keep your ears peeled.  It's all part of the glittery charm.  Buuuut that's not actually where I was going with this post!

She also always says that I can pull off a bright red/coral lip. I do adore those vibrant, vintage shades and will rock them on my fingertips any day but every time I put 'em on my face I run into two problems. 1) Getting past the Dooo I look like a cheap hooker? dilemma.  It's the kind of color that when done right looks amazing. However, having the self awareness to see if I have achieved the awesome verses the street walker effect is tricky business.


Once I've overcome that hurdle, a second problem arises.
 2) What do I wear that doesn't clash with my face?  I feel like I need a new wardrobe to pull of the trend.  Can I make it fit with my comfy cotton-based wardrobe?  As far as I can see, not much that I own works without making me revisit problem #1 again.
The end result seems to be hookerfacemombum, which isn't the desired effect.   Help please?  What's your favorite vibrant shade?  Do you feel like you have to chose your outfit around your make up when you wear bright oranges, reds or corals?  How do you fit them into fall?  I'm picturing a lot of navy and peacock blue.



Speaking of my darling, red lip wearing, lovely Lou, THANK YOU ALL for following her here and joining me in this new venture!  xx


24 comments:

  1. There is no way you would ever pass for a hookerfacemombum LOL although I love that phrase! hehehe With that said, I used to feel the same way when I started to wear red lipstick again after years of barely there makeup and lipgloss (5 kiddos and no time to really go all out with makeup when they were little) but now they are all pretty much grown so I devote more time on my makeup (like playing with crayons for me). Now I'm really loving the Fall vampy lip trend... pairing it with barely there subtle eye makeup and loving it! You totally rock the coral/red lip. Looks very retro and gorgeous on you, Lou was spot on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You? Can wear it.

    I? Can not.

    Ha. You look lovely with a bright tone on those lips, missy! Louise is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous in those photos!! Louise is definitely right :D i am so excited you have started a blog :D :D i cannot wait for more!!!

    Jen xxx
    itsablondeslife7.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the color looks great on you and I loved it in the picture you posted of yourself sneaking a moment in the "restroom."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise is right. You look great :) I love your picture :)

    love Gunna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding? You pull off color very well. And the mom bun? Yeah, that is a fashionable topknot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely pull it off. It's very Marie and a tiny bit mischievous girl right out of a fairy tail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually think you look like an angel. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You totally rock that colour. Not a cheap hooker in sight!!!! Cassie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got this in my email this morning:

    http://www.dailymakeover.com/trends/slideshow/top-10-bold-lipstick-looks/?slideid=1&slideshowPaused=false

    Bold lipstick looks with a few wardrobe suggestions in there as well. That color is FABULOUS! Louise is right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That colour looks amazing on you! I need to go to one of those genius beauty counter people who can look at you for 2 seconds and go "THIS is the colour for you my dear!"
    I love the bun as well, top knots are the in thing dahlink ;)


    www.jazzyleelbc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so pretty! I cant pull red off

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love Louise's voice and accent! Half the time I'm listening just for that! Lol, who am I kidding? She's friggin' hilarious:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Louise's little sayings too! I'm so excited to see you on the blog!

    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That colour looks great on you..doesn't really matter about the clothes..now that sounds bad, but you know what I mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look great with that lipstick tho!

    inwithdnew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My current favorite lip for the fall season in a Tarte lipsurgence matte lip tint called Fiery. It isn't vibrant, but it is bold. I have always enjoyed a bold lip. I don't think you need to worry too much about it matching your outfit, consider it a great accessory. Life is too short,if it makes you feel good do it.
    You look fabulous in that lippy by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. when in doubt pair it with neutral colored clothes :) Black , grey , brown , white ... stick to monochrome and make your lips your pop of color :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally understand what you're saying with the lips. I own a GORGEOUS fuchsia from Rimmel, but I never know what to wear it with so I've never worn it outside my bathroom :P On a related note, I love your lips. They're gorgeous. Not to be creepy or anything, I just have serious lip envy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not hooker face, you look gorgeous. As for what to wear you can wear any color except the exact color on your lips. Unless its red. Red works with Red lips, but then you walk a fine line between slutty and hot. I'd go for more coverage. Top or red jeans and a black top

    ReplyDelete